Sunday, November 24, 2013

Changed People are Changing the City

(An address to the Middletown, OH, City Council, November 2013)


I’m here to talk about something that is on the forefront of many people’s minds in our city. And that is downtown revitalization. Having served as a Pastor here for 7 years, I join many people who are grateful to see the revitalization happening in our city. I remember the days when the only option for lunch was a sandwich I brought from home and warmed over coffee from the previous night’s meeting. But things are changing in our city and that gives me great hope for the future of Middletown.

But I believe that there is another reason for hope today. There is a different kind of revitalization that I have the privilege of seeing every week. It is the kind of revitalization that is not just about changed storefronts and new businesses, but it is also about changed lives. In 2007, my husband Jeff and I were taking a walk around our neighborhood one morning. I had just made the decision to leave a career as a golf professional and go into ministry. I was having some doubts about whether it was the right decision. I said to him, “There just aren’t that many churches that are doing what I think they should be doing”, I said. I think the church should do a better job of revitalizing people’s lives—especially the poor. Without skipping a beat, he looked at me and said, “Why don’t you start one?” And then I laughed at him!

A few months later, as God would have it, First United Methodist Church where I was serving on staff gave us permission to use its basement to start a new kind of worship service—one that would attract the poor who were living around the church. That first night, we had no idea if anyone would come, but we put a band together, served Subway sandwiches and opened the door. And they came. 25 people that night—mostly for the food. But after a few months they kept coming for the message of hope that we delivered every week. A year later, one man who came that night told me, “A Subway sandwich saved my life.”

Six years later that worship service has grown into an independent chartered United Methodist Church called The Gathering, with a very unique congregation. It is a congregation where the rich and the poor serve side by side overcoming the barriers of race, religion, and other things that divide people. People who visit The Gathering leave the church saying things like “This is a church where Jesus would hang out.” From that first night in the basement, we have grown from 25 to 125 people and now have our own building. Every week, we hold two Sunday morning services and a Monday night Recovery service in addition to Bible studies, Book studies, Support groups, Craft groups, music groups, talent nights, leadership development, money management, and many other opportunities for the people in our downtown community.

Every Sunday after church, I walk out wanting to pinch myself that I get to serve this amazing church. Our mission today is the same as when we started – to change lives, heal the community and grow the kingdom of God one life at a time. What makes The Gathering unique? I believe it is our radical hospitality to all people and the power of God to revitalize lives. One of those stories is the story of Greg.

Greg walked into The Gathering a little over two years ago as a recovering addict with six months of sobriety. At the time, Greg was living at Hope House and had heard that there was a church that radically welcomed people regardless of their past. The Sunday that he came, we announced that we were looking for a new worship leader. Greg, who was an accomplished guitarist and who had a heart for worship leading, offered to give it a try. Two and a half years later, Greg is still serving as our Passionate Worship leader, is two years clean and sober, has his own home, a heart to reach out to other recovering addicts, and sits on our leadership board. When Greg talks about what The Gathering means to him, he doesn’t talk about church doctrine, or committee meetings or worship style. He talks about His growing relationship with Christ and how his friends at The Gathering have changed his life. “I have never met a more loving, accepting, and authentic group of people than the people at The Gathering. They truly are my family.”

When our church moved from the basement of First, to a storefront on Central, there was a business owner that made it clear that they were not happy that we were there. “It’s the poor people who hang out at Governor’s Square with nothing to do all day. They drive away my business. They get in the way of the revitalization of our city. “I understand that,” I said. “I was once a business owner myself. What if I were to help you clear Governor’s square of those people? What if there was a place that they could come to and learn about God’s love for them and find purpose for their life? Would that help to revitalize downtown?” Six months later, he said, “You know, I didn’t like you at first, but now that I see what you are doing with the people, my wife and I want to know if there is any way that we can help.”

If a city is to be truly transformed, storefronts are important—new businesses are important, but a city is defined by its people. And “people change” is what we do best. People change happens when people are welcomed into a life of faith, spiritual growth and healing relationships. Now that’s what I call a downtown on the move!

There are hundreds more stories that I could share with you. But until now, few people have known about us and about what we do. And that’s why I’ve come today. We want you to know that we want the same things that you want. We want to be about downtown revitalization. We want to participate with you in the future development of this great city – beginning with its people.

We would love for you to come any Sunday and experience The Gathering. Our services are at 9am and 11:15 with a very lively community Bible study at 10:15. I would also like to invite you to a special event that will be held at BeauVerre studio on December 5th where you can learn how you, your family, your church group, or your business can participate in changing lives through the ministries of The Gathering.

So, if you see a person walking the streets of Middletown early next Sunday morning, don’t be surprised if the tell you they are on their way to church. Better yet, follow them! Your life might just be the one that is changed for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment